Monday, April 11, 2016

Custom Memory Quilt from Men's Shirts


My friend asked me to make a twin sized quilt from her father-in-law's shirts. I've seen this done before, but hadn't done it myself.  She gave me 14 shirts, mostly longsleeve.  I cut the shirts up into 6 inch squares and made half square triangles trying to put a light with a dark. This was not my initial layout of the squares, it was Myra who suggested making the diamonds.  I guess I just wasn't on my game that day. I'm so glad for friends who can help when you're having an off day!


My friend's husband requested I put his dad's cattle brand on the quilt somewhere. I was going to print it on on fabric, but with this pattern that wasn't going to work.  Applique was the second suggestion, but I don't do that well I told her.  It's still not professional, but I did practice on a couple scrap pieces before figuring out to add some stabilizer to the back.  It's all thread since the pieces were so small.


 This was quite a learning experience.  Cutting the shirts up took much longer than I thought. You have to cut them apart with scissors, iron all the pieces and then cut them into squares.  Working with thin shirts, slick shirts, and flannels all at once wasn't too bad. The HST's went together easily.  I was more concerned with getting everything perfect because this wasn't my quilt.  It seems silly now, but you can't just order more fabric and make another one.  I'm glad I made it, but next time I'm making sure they don't pick half square triangles!

4 comments:

  1. It turned out beautifully! Welcome to custom quilts - a love 'em, hate 'em relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great! The piecing looks more complex than regular HST because of the prints. The family is sure to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I LOVE this quilt! Thanks for sharing it. desertskyquilts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I love this layout! I am in the process of making memory quilts for my children from my husbands shirts. Did you us stablizer behind each block? Did you also use a light batting before quilting?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...