Monday, December 5, 2016

Quilting and Quilt Finished


This is a queen sized hand sewn customer quilt that I was asked to quilt and bind.  It was not in great condition.  It had holes and more fullness than I have ever seen or had to work with. I told her puckers would be unavoidable and they were.

Here are some before shots. I think there were worse spots than these just didn't get them in the photos.




And here are the after shots.  I quilted it in a smaller than normal meander hoping to hold down the extra fabric.  I was also hoping to be able to close up the holes with the meandering.  I think it worked pretty well.



My customer told me that someone had already told her "no" to quilting this for her.  I knew that she wanted it quilted and not being a quilter herself, didn't really understand how bad this top was. Thankfully she doesn't want to use this quilt on a bed or anything.  From a distance I think it looks nice. And I think she will be happy.  


What do you do with tops that are not sewn together well? Have you ever told your customer no?

5 comments:

  1. It turned out really nice. I wouldn't do a customer quilt that wasn't fairly flat because my setup (and lack of a third hand) doesn't allow me to smooth the top as I quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I don't do other people's quilts so can't really make a comment. I can understand why a quilter might be reluctant to have a go at a quilt that is not sewn well, it's your quilting reputation at stake after all. I think you did a marvellous job and the owner will be happy with the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job with what you had to work with. I don't do a lot of customer quilts, but I have passed on a couple for various reasons. I feel if I am not comfortable doing it that I should let them know so that they get the best results with their quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your final product looks great, and I'm sure your customer is thankful for your willing to finish it for her. I did a couple of old quilts for a customer that had lots of puckers, really no straight lines, and lots of fullness. I was just honest with her that we'd have puckers, but that I would do my best so she could have useable quilt. She completely understood and was so grateful to have it finished. I can't imagine telling a customer no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful from here. I always say that perfect isn't flawless. Perfect is finished. This will be a treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...