Friday, June 10, 2016
Tuesday, June 7, 2016
67 x 88
Because I had enough solids leftover from this quilt, I decided to make another rainbow bargello quilt. But this time, I added 4 more colors because I thought the last one was a big short for a twin.
Just as pretty as before! I even had the same leftovers for the back and the strip. I did have to add the blue sashing to make it just a bit longer. More solids used up from the stash!
Monday, June 6, 2016
Quick update! I have been busy making Minecraft quilts these last couple weeks. There are three new blocks in these two quilts. The sword block used pellon interfacing to hold all those tiny squares. You can read the directions here. And even with that, it's still hard to get the block the right size. I still have one more quilt to finish. It's using lots of solids from the stash!
Wednesday, June 1, 2016
It's been a great month for using fabric! I made 3 bed sized quilts this month - WHEW! Two of these quilts came from what used to be the Hard To Use Fabrics, which is now the TUB of fabric since I added all my more traditional fabrics to get them out of my stash of modern fabrics. Since I now have 2 different stashes, I think the HTU goal will be disappearing. This month I hope to get a couple baby quilts sewn together, but my goal is more focused on making some custom quilt orders.
May in: 40
May out: 54.5
YTD in: 149.75
YTD out: 205
YTD change: 55.25
Friday, May 27, 2016
94.5 x 103.5
It has a much different feel than the more modern Brick Cottage Lane. This one is more traditional and old fashioned I think. I like them both, but I'd say that I'd pick the modern quilt every time.
Just like the last queen sized quilt, I pieced the back trying to use up the larger leftovers. This size quilt takes up so much fabric. I don't keep more than 5 yards of any of my fabrics. Mostly my large pieces are 3 to 4 for backing lap quilts. This quilt used up 16 yards of fabric! That's gonna help off set a fabric purchase I made this week.
Friday, May 20, 2016
72 x 92
I have to tell you the story about how all these fabrics got in this quilt.
I had showed Myra a picture of a HTU (hard to use) maroon fabric with 2 or 3 different fabrics and asked her if they went together. (In hindsight, they were awful!) Good thing friends tell you the truth! She suggested I make a patchwork quilt with my HTUs. So I went through my stash and pulled all the fabrics that didn't go with my stash. Turns out they are all soft non-modern fabrics. I kept adding more to the pile and pretty soon it filled almost 2 tables. Some of these fabrics are nice and some are "what were you thinking?" fabrics.
Anyway, I used 23 different prints from the tables in maroon to blue-green on the color wheel. And it used the HTU maroon fabric that I was having trouble finding fabrics for. You can see it on the back of the quilt below.
I love using matching fabrics for the back instead of buying one big piece. It add character to the quilt! I think it's one of my favorite things about a quilt. Besides being finished, that is!
Tuesday, May 17, 2016
96 x 96
This is a queen sized quilt made from 2 different nine patch blocks. Most of the fabrics came from my 2.5 and 5 inch scrap bins. It started out to be a lap quilt, but I had too many scraps, so I was going to make 2 lap quilts.
Then I decided it should be a bed quilt, but there were too many blocks for a twin. I was short 15 blocks for a queen. So do you add a border or go on the hunt for more fabric? Well, I was blessed to find a few more pieces in my scrap bin and I cut some matching prints that were left in my stash. I did have to buy one green fat quarter.
After the top was done, I measured all my leftover big pieces, got my notebook and started sketching out a layout for the back. It changed slightly from my drawing, but I like how it turned out. Even though it may never be seen, I didn't have to buy any fabric for the back! It's the year of the stash and I'm trying hard to keep it.
This was my OMG for May. It was a big goal and I'm glad it's finished! You can see links to other's May goals at Red Letter Quilts. You can also find this quilt in my shop.
Friday, May 13, 2016
Saturday, May 7, 2016
49.5 x 64
I bought this pile of fabric from Myra's Yard Sale Saturday on Etsy. It's about 6 to 7 yards of fabric. I used all of it in this autumn quilt. Most of it was already cut into 2 inch strips cut in half, so I had to come up with a design for that size. I cut off some of the brown floral off the large piece to break up the strips.
I have been second guessing myself on the large 20 inch strip in the center, wondering if I should have cut it in half.
I found a red print that was in this fabric line in my stash. How you like that? I also added a strip of orange to make the back big enough. I had cut the binding first to make sure I would have enough, then laid out the back.
Myra has Yard Sale Saturday the first saturday of every month. Whether you are buying or selling, it's worth checking out.
Sunday, May 1, 2016
May's OMG is a stack of fabric and scraps in country colors. I went through my stash and these are the fabrics I thought would go with the scraps in the second photo. I am adding the light tan as my background color. It's a fun pattern with 4 patches and 9 patches. I planing on making 2 lap quilts this month! Hopefully I can find enough backing for both of them. I haven't done a scrappy quilt in a while so this will be nice to get some of the scrap bins.
April Stash Report
I am counting 3 HTU quilts done this month! The first two come from the gray print in the two baby quilts and the third is the back of the Sea Glass quilt. I got my first custom quilt order from a friend who wanted a twin quilt made from men's shirts. And I used some more solids this month. Seems the more I use, the more I buy. Hmmm...trying to stop that!
APRIL IN: 13 yardsAPRIL OUT: 31.5 yards
YTD IN: 103.75
YTD OUT: 150.5
YTD CHANGE: 46.75 out