Thursday, June 29, 2017

Rah, Rah, Rally Quilt

66 x 82

This pattern can be found in the Moda Bakeshop book Sweet Celebrations. I mostly used Melissa's applique tutorial for the logo of my local college.  Mine wasn't as complicated as hers so I just layered the full pieces together. It is a little thick, but I think it still looks okay.

I used monopoly thread to quilt the entire thing, even the appliqued letters.  I traced around the S, the E, and the black outside oval.

For the back I used a medium blue minky because I made this to be a stadium quilt. It's large enough for two people and it is perfect for the couch in the winter too. I love this pattern because it easily fits any school or team colors. Can't wait until I have a college student to give one to!

You can get one for yourself in your team colors in my etsy shop. I have three sizes available.

Linking with Crazy Mom Quilts and :

Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts

Friday, June 23, 2017

Down the River Disappearing 4 Patch

 55 x 66

The disappearing 4 patch pattern was very fitting for this quilt. The focus fabric only has a few shades of blue in it and was really hard to match to the blues in my stash. I found a large piece of the moda marble in this dark blue shade that went well. I don't have too many 2 fabric go to patterns, but I have used the D4P before with great success.

I didn't worry about fussy cutting since there are so many different squares and I knew they were going to get cut up anyway. Here's a peek at a boat and the docks.

And here is a good shot of one of the lighthouses and another boat. I love the blue shades of the fabric, so much like a cloudy day on the river.

I thought the double strip on the back kind of mimics the pattern on the front.

Linking with Myra at Busy Hands Quilts.
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts

Friday, June 16, 2017

University of Alabama Elephant Quilt

70 x 90 

Crimson and White are the colors of the University of Alabama and their mascot is an elephant. A customer of mine wanted this particular elephant made into a twin sized quilt with her school's colors.

I picked an easy background pattern with over 10 different red fabrics to make sure the elephant would be the star of the quilt. The rectangles were cut 5" by 18".

The elephant was paper pieced and appliqued to the quilt top before quilting. I quilted it with an off white thread with straight lines on some of the pieces about a quarter inch from the seam. The tail got sewn in as I was doing the applique.

I really didn't know the proper way to quilt this guy since he was so big. I outlined him in read and then quilted just inside the white satin stitches with my longarm as I was doing the straight lines. This was really my first time appliqueing something this large. Is this the proper way? How would you have done it?

I learned a lot about paper piecing (and yes, it was much better this time) and even applique.  I may even do some more in the future!

Linking with Busy Hands Quilts and Crazy Mom Quilts.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Pure Baby Boy Quilt

36 x 42 

This is a Moda Bake Shop pattern called Pure Baby Boy.   I liked the simplicity of it so I dug through my scraps and pieced the top. I found a blue Kona cotton called Delft for the sashing and the binding.

I wasn't crazy about how they had done the back in the tutorial, plus I hadn't used a jelly roll so I didn't have any strips anyway. I looked in my stash and nothing large enough seemed to go with the modern look of the front.

Eventually I was able to find enough matching prints and pieced the back from 4.5" wide rectangles. I think they were cut 5" x 10". I didn't worry about trying to get it center when I loaded it on the longarm. I just wanted it to be straight.  And it's pretty close.

It looks so much softer after it's washed. Too bad that is hard to show in pictures. But all quilts look better in person, don't you think?  Hope you're having a great week!

Friday, June 9, 2017

Granny's Square Patch in Teal and Brown

60  x 70

This is another Granny's Square Patch Quilt made with Myra's pattern. This is one of my go to patterns because it looks great in three fabrics but can also be use with many fabrics. I'm still going through my stash and trying to use up fabrics that aren't really blenders.  This tan floral fabric fit the bill and looks great with the teal and brown I found in my stash as well.

I ran a little short on the back even with using all the leftover squares in a strip. A little character never hurt any quilt!

You can find this quilt in my etsy shop.  Linking with Busy Hands Quilts.

Friday, June 2, 2017

Summery Squares

57 x 67 

Here is a summery quilt that features a blue floral print I found in my stash. I used 4 colors from that print to add even more color and brightness to the quilt.

After I got the top done, it seems a little plain so I decided to quilt it with an orange thread. But even that didn't seem like enough so I choose to do a feather style pantograph.

I found this beautiful orange print in my stash that goes perfectly. You can't really see it in the picture but it is a geometric print in several shades of orange. 

It's listed for sale in my Etsy Shop.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...