Thursday, July 5, 2018

Throwback Thursday - Pixilated Horse Quilt

I've only been quilting since 2010, so I can't go back too far for Throwback Thursday! In 2012 I started working on a pixilated horse quilt. The kids love to take pictures of the horses when they go out to ride. I couldn't find the original picture, but the one on the left is what the horse really looks like. The background has already been edited to remove things from the photo.  In the picture on the right, I edited the horse's head so there would be less variation when I pixilated it. 

 
I used photoshop to reduce the number of colors in the picture which then pixilated it, but there are also sites that will turn your photograph into a pixel quilt design. The one I was trying to use is not around any longer, but I did find YouPatch if you'd like to give it a go.

 
Above is my final pixel layout after doing some moving of colored squares to make it look like I wanted it to. And below it the finished quilt. I gave this quilt to a friend, who loves horses very much. I'd love to make another one, but it is made from 2" strips and it takes a while to get one finished. Maybe someday I'll get time to make one for our family.


Let me know if you design a pixel quilt pattern for yourself. I'd love to see what you come up with!

Linking with MMM Throwback Thursday.

5 comments:

  1. How fun is this quilt! And you gave it away.....I love horses too. Hope you make another one soon for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done a pixelated quilt, but I've seen a few of them. I'm sure the process using 2" strips takes a bit of time, but your horse quilt came out very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are fearless my friend, for a pretty new quilter to attempt a pixelated quilt, I bow down to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m fascinated by pixelated quilts, but I don’t think I’ve ever tried one. Thanks for sharing how you simplified the photo before making the final design. I bet your kids would love horse quilts/pillows of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! That turned out great. I have pixelated pictures for my boys to color, but not for a quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...