Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Classic Country Floral Queen Size Quilt

96 x 96

This is a queen sized quilt made from 2 different nine patch blocks.  Most of the fabrics came from my 2.5 and 5 inch scrap bins.  It started out to be a lap quilt, but I had too many scraps, so I was going to make 2 lap quilts.  

Then I decided it should be a bed quilt, but there were too many blocks for a twin.  I was short 15 blocks for a queen.  So do you add a border or go on the hunt for more fabric?  Well, I was blessed to find a few more pieces in my scrap bin and I cut some matching prints that were left in my stash. I did have to buy one green fat quarter.


After the top was done, I measured all my leftover big pieces, got my notebook and started sketching out a layout for the back. It changed slightly from my drawing, but I like how it turned out.  Even though it may never be seen, I didn't have to buy any fabric for the back!  It's the year of the stash and I'm trying hard to keep it.


This was my OMG for May.  It was a big goal and I'm glad it's finished!  You can see links to other's May goals at Red Letter Quilts.  You can also find this quilt in my shop.

10 comments:

  1. Well of course you'd find more fabric for blocks in your scraps! Don't you know they make like rabbits and multiply at night time while we sleep, thinking we've made a dent in the pile??!! I didn't see the second 9-patch until you said there were two, so that means you did a great job blending the value of those patches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely combo of pattern / scraps/ colors...congrats on this wonderful finish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous quilt. I love the backing. Pieced backings add a great element of design to a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take 2 simple blocks and make tons and you have a great quilt-I love the colors! And that back is super!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful (and big) scrap quilt. Your scraps play so well together. Plus, I love the pattern. Great job using your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful, and your backing plan worked perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this one too, Shannon. The colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your finish! It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowza, BIG goal is right! Love the alternating blocks (and that backing!), and Shannon, your Etsy shop looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...