Friday, December 30, 2016

Pink Chunky Race Quilt

 49.5 x 59.5

The first chunky race quilt is finished! Jasmine, who came up with the Chunky Race Quilt, tells you about her quilt here. I had so much fun quilting this one.  But no laughing, it was my first try at some of these different designs. I picked 10 different designs and quilted them on a specific color.  I made a huge mistake and put my newest design on the yellow. It should have been on a purple so it wouldn't stand out.  


 Apparently quilting ribbons are harder than they look.  I think it might have been easier if they weren't 4 inches tall.  This was my first one, but it wasn't my worst.  These did not improve as I traveled down the quilt.  I need way more practice on this one!


These l's were supposed to be much fatter. I started getting wider on a different strip.


Love this design, but I don't know what it is called.  My new favorite!


I think I saw these circles that remind me of e's on Jasmines Chunky Race Quilt. They also need more practice.


I wasn't really sure how to start the ribbons.  But below you can see I love e's and l's.  They were one if the easy designs.


Some fatter l's and some circles.  I really need practice traveling over a line that has been quilted already. There are some bad back tracking designs on the maroon that didn't show up well in the photos.


I used all the leftover fabric on the back.  Normally this would have been my favorite part of the quilt, but I loved the quilting on the front so much it wins!  You can find the directions for making this quilt top here.  It takes less than 2 hours.  It makes a great charity quilt or just one for practicing some new to you quilting designs. I hope you'll give it a try.



3 comments:

  1. Yes the ribbon candy is much easier on smaller strips, I like about 2-2.5" for them. You could always stitch a straight line about 1/2" from each edge of the strip and then you have a smaller area for the ribbon candy. The design on the pink is called wishbone(if that is the one you didn't know the name of). Great practice Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your are doing a great job with the quilting. I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this. I'm sure your machine is happy to be learning new things, too! Due to muscle memory, it might be easier to repeat the same design over a quilt top. When I was quilting my latest practice quilt, my arms kept trying to go back to allover meander.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this! I think it looks fantastic. I personally appreciate a handmade look with little imperfections. When I teach free motion quilting, I always tell my students to think of what the design reminds them of while quilting it. What reminded you of e's reminded me of spirals with a straight exit to the next spiral. Great job! Also, there is a reason why I quilted a whole quilt with ribbon candy. I felt I needed a lot of practice on it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...